From Rock to Classical & from Opera to Pop, Cello Diva is no ordinary cellist…
Sally's new duo album with sax/flute player JP Fleury is now available!
Have a listen to the CD or Buy it.
Aside from evident mastery of the instrument... Maer's lovely, deep tone and silky elastic touch is evocative...Liz Seymour - Arts Hub News Wire Review: Cello Diva, Bed of Roses
Maer is part of a new breed, bringing a refreshing, versatile approach to performances.Josephine Allison - The West Australian
From the pavements of Covent Garden to the Sydney Symphony, Maer's career brings new life to the tired concept of boundary pushing.Alexandra Coughlan - Time Out Magazine, Sydney
Sally... radiates empathy and understanding. She brings those qualities to her music.Robert Titterton, Chairman of the Sydney Omega Ensemble.
Variety cellist Sarah Jessica Maer, or Sally Maer as she is more commonly known in Oz, has an affinity with the passionate music she plays. From Bach to Bocelli, rock to classical, Abba to opera, her performances encompass an eclectic mix of exquisite music spanning three centuries, as well as stories from her travels through life as a musician. She has the virtuosity of Yo Yo Ma, the stylistic verve of Vanessa Mae and the glamour of a modern day Grace Kelly.
Sarah Jessica has lived a life of diversity. Originally from London, she studied at The Royal Academy of Music where she performed in the presence of Diana Princess of Wales. After graduating with an honours degree presented to her by Lord Yehudi Menhuin, she relocated from England to Australia, and made the transition from being an orchestral musician in various orchestras including the Sydney Symphony, to playing rock music and working on TV shows such as Australian Idol, to then becoming a solo performer and a headline entertainer on a variety of cruise ships including the famous Queen Mary II.
The ABC, inspired by her drive and originality, signed her to their label in 2005. She is now a top selling ABC recording artist appearing on many ABC compilation albums, as well as having an ABC solo album out called ‘Bed of Roses’ and a video clip bearing the same title. Music from the solo album is aired regularly on Classic FM.
Sarah Jessica has performed her solo ‘Cello Diva’ show in all the major concert venues across Australia including the Sydney Opera House Concert Hall. It was her deep, lifelong love of the cello, her interest in all types of music, combined with her love of travel, that led Sarah Jessica to become a headline entertainer on cruise ships in 2009.
Sarah Jessica’s kaleidoscope of musical knowledge and life experiences, as well as her warm and effervescent personality, come across in her shows. Her performances are the result of a life led with eyes wide open and a heart full of music.
News / Press
- Sally's new duo album project with sax/flute player JP Fleury is now available! Have a look in the SHOP section of the site.
- Cello Diva album number two is being recorded between various trips on the ocean. News on this soon...
Upcoming Cello Diva Performances
- 9th Jan 2013, Cello Diva Classical Concert accompanied by Neil Roxburgh @ St Nicholas' Parish Church, Brighton, UK
- 10th - 17th Jan 2013, recording for new album
- 3rd - 11th Feb 2013, Crystal Cruise Line with 'The Fleurys', NZ
- 16th - 23rd Feb 2013, Queen Elizabeth with 'The Fleurys', Samoa
- 24th Feb - 4th March 2013, Queen Victoria with 'The Fleurys' Austalia
- 28th July 2013 with The Fleurys, Petersham RSL, 3pm in "Back to the Tivoli"
- 11th Aug 2013 with The Fleurys, Mingara RSL, 2.30pm in "Back to the Tivoli"
- 8th Dec 2013, concert with pianist Sally Whitwell, All Saints' Anglican Church, Ainslie, Canberra
To book a Cello Diva show or the Duo Show for your corporate event, to obtain a repertoire list or to enquire about prices, please use the contact page.
Past Cello Diva Performances
- Cello Diva was performing with her duo partner in 'The Fleurys' for most of 2012, performing on the Fred Olsen Cruise Line all over Europe, The Caribbean, Australasia, Greenland, Canada, Iceland, Cuba, and the Baltic.
- September 2012, Concert in Quebec with 'The Fleurys'
- Azamara Cruise Line invited Cello Diva to perform on their ships in Europe during the Summer of 2012.
- Cello Diva performed all over the planet on the following Cruise Lines for 2011: Azamara, Holland America, SAGA, Fred Olsen, Cunard, Silver Sea and Seabourn.
- "Amici" Support Act performances at Sydney Opera House Concert Hall, Melbourne Hamer Hall, Newcastle Civic Theatre, Adelaide Festival Theatre, Canberra Theatre, Queensland Performing Arts Centre Concert Hall
- Headline Show at The Famous Spiegeltent, Melbourne International Arts Festival
- His Majesty's Theatre Lunchtime Concert, Perth
- Sunset at Subi show, Perth
- Classic FM performance on the "Just Classics" show hosted by Damien Beaumont
- Cruise Ship Headline Performer on luxury Cruise Ships including the Queen Mary II
- Sydney World AIDS Day Concert, Sydney Conservatorium
- Live Radio Performances on ABC: James Valentine's Show, ABC Canberra, Richard Stubbs' Melbourne show
- Sally's recording of Spiegel im Spiegel was used as the soundtrack to the ABC TV documentary on surfing, "Bombora".
Other Interesting Stuff...
- For Anzac Day 2005, Sally was invited to play in the Peter Sculthorpe String Quartet for a televised performance to a 20,000 people strong crowd at the Dawn Service at Anzac Cove in Gallipoli. It was the 90th Anniversary commemorations of the Australian Landing at Galliopli during WW1.
- Cello Diva is regularly featured on the Qantas inflight entertainment, so plug in your earphones next time you're flying!
- Acoustic duo performance with Ian Moss at the 'APRA' Awards
- Delta Goodrem's Australian Tour cellist
- Tommy Lee Jones' quartet cellist during the Rockstar Supernova Tour
- Cellist for Australian Idol accompanying Liza Minnelli, Michael Buble and Lionel Richie!
- Cellist for Australian X Factor
- Sydney Symphony free lance cellist
- Kanye West's string section cellist
- Cellist in the orchestra for the Australian "Boy From Oz" staring Hugh Jackman
- Orchestral cellist for Bocelli's Australian Tour
- Australian Breakfast TV cellist accompanying Tim Freedman, Anthony Callea, Mark Vincent & Tina Arena
- Cellist for the Human Nature DVD with orchestra
- Orchestral recording session musician for the movie soundtrack "Australia" by Baz Luhrmann
- Headliner on the British Cruise Ship SAGA along with famous British comedian Paul Daniels
- Orchestral cellist for Rod Stewart's Australian tour
- String section cellist for John Farnham's induction into the ARIA hall of fame
- Headliner on the QM2 the during Desmond Tutu's visit on board!
Cello Diva plays Vivaldi’s dazzling “Summer” storm on stage with the band on the MS Volendam. Watch it here.
From Sinatra to The Swan, to Children of Sanchez, here is the diversity of a Cello Diva show. Watch it here
Cello Diva and sax player JP Fleury team up for their dynamic variety show “Bach to Broadway”. here
Cello Diva captivatingly plays The Swan, by Saint Saens, one of the most famous pieces of cello music ever. Watch it here.
Sally and Sally (Maer and Whitwell) play Arvo Part’s meditative Spiegel im Spiegel, recorded by ABC Classics. Watch it here.
The ABC produced this video clip to accompany the Bed of Roses album. The week it was released on YouTube, it was the 4th most highly rated video in Australia. It's a fairy tale... Watch it here.
NEW: Love Lost & Found
Cello Diva teams up with accomplished saxophonist and flautist JP Fleury for their first duo album together. During a year of traveling around the world performing on cruise ships, both Sally and JP ‘s families and friends seemed to be having various life changing moments.In an attempt to give gifts to all those getting married, losing their loved ones and bringing new life into the world, by making and giving their music, they thought to put all these pieces together on one album. They have since realised that one album may not be enough! But here is the first offering of ‘Love Lost and Found’, an album of beautiful duets, inspired by all different kinds of love, made with love. Listen to Love Lost And Found.
Bed of Roses
Signed to ABC classics in 2008 as Cello Diva, Sally recorded this cello at the ABC studios in Sydney with the backing of a live symphony orchestra.
The music is played regularly on Classic FM in Australia, and the album consists of mesmerising arrangements of well known music, from all genres.
Other Albums featuring Cello Diva
< Sally appeared on this compilation album produced by Decca with "Fields of Gold" from her Bed of Roses album. Unfortunately, and probably due to budget cuts, Decca don't employ people who can read, or double check over their work, so she is credited as Sally May. However, she was thrilled to feature on an album with fabulous artists such as Pavarotti, Lesley Garret and Russell Watson!